Monday 25 April 2011

out 'n about!

Being able to fish 3 weeks earlier than last year does have its downfalls. Pike are still in deeper water so I've been really stoked with the Jacks I've caught so far this season, especially as I've only been able to wade due to most of the ice still covering much of the island. Wading at this time of the year though is brutal as water temps drain your energy levels rather quickly. Even with 3 pairs of longjohns on, thermal vests, fleeces and jackets I can only bare being half submerged for around an hour before my body starts shutting down. Fishing in these temps is slow. I've been using a floating line with a much shorter leader of around 3 ft and mainly bendback flies and my rattle n hums which by the time have been retrieved are bouncing on the bottom. Still I managed to have a chat with this fella yesterday morning so things are looking up.

5 comments:

Pakistanfishing said...

Thank you fr sharing, appreciated.

Piketeaser said...

First fish with fly after a long cold winter....It must be a fantastic feeling :)

-Djuza-

All about the grab said...

Actually Juha it was my 18th on the fly since I started 3 weeks ago mate. This was the 1st one of any real decent size to feel good about.

My Ghillie said...

Glad to see that you're out and doing what you love to do. Fishing is about to bust wide open here too...can't wait!

John

mike williams said...

Real nice fish! I like the bobblehead fly alot. I created a pattern about 2 weeks ago that has a walk the dog, side to side action too, my girlfriend and I just got some filming of it swimming in a local pond this evening I hope to have it posted soon. I'm a huge fan of your tying keep up the fine work my friend.