Tuesday 5 April 2011

Out 'n about!

Things are looking up here on the island. Temps have been rising daily and the snow has started to melt. This image was from last Sunday 27/03/11. I managed around an hours fishing along both ice shelfs, and although I hadn't much water to aim at and no hope of catching anything, being able to lay some line out and watch a fly through crystal clear water work its way back across the current was exactly what the soul needed.

This was taken 2 days ago 3/o4/11. The ice was considerably thinner and so I was left to stand on protruding snow covered rocks which made casting rather trecherous over the ice shelf, but still enjoyable. I managed a small jack around 60cm taken on a White/Chartreuse banger, which to be honest I didn't even feel hit the fly.

So this is from today 04/04/11. I know it looks bleak as hell but temps were around +4'c which after the winter I've had it was like a hot summers day in comparison. Again another small Jack around 65cm taken on an orange fly. So it looks my season has officially started here. A whole 4 weeks earlier than last year. Maybe the pike might start spawning a few weeks earlier than the last 2 yrs. I wait with baited breath.

5 comments:

My Ghillie said...

Now that's what I'm talking about....open water and an early spawn.

Unless things change here, we'll be about 2 weeks behind in the species migrations. Normally by now the sea water temps are 58 to 62F but he are still below 55F, a temp we are normally at by March 15th.

No matter, It will happen, always has.

John

pietro said...

And here we go Simon...the Baltic has eventually started to melt also here in Espoo..still, ice is not gone yet. Although we have taken the right direction!

All about the grab said...

Its a waiting game,thats for sure!

Thomas said...

Welcome back in the game!

Harmen-Jan said...

Hee, save some for me this summer, and while you are at it: a few for Erik as well please.....:-) enjoy the fishing mate...