Wednesday 30 March 2011

The dry fly bird fly by Rowland Frazier

I recieved this gorgeous fly in the post yesterday from my very good friend Rowland Frazier. During a very enjoyable skype session a few weeks back the talk of a new fly he had designed and tied to immitate a struggling bird on the surface of the water was discussed.

Its a wonderful creation which I'm in two minds whether to fish with it or frame it. knowing me though I'm bound to give it a go as I'm intrigued how it performs on the surface. The front feathers tied in a fan formation are surprisingly stiff and will definitely push a hell of a lot of water with each strip of the line. They've been butted up against some deer hair for extra rigidity.

The stiff tail feathers have been tied on splayed outwards also for extra movement of water as its retieved back. Total length - 100mm and is so light you dont even feel it in your hand. Thanks for this Rowland, Your constant thinking outside the box with regards to pike flies is why I hold you in such high regard as one of the most innovative pike fly tiers around my friend.

I'll start your flies soon for your Canada trip Rowland,greetings from Finland.

2 comments:

Dustin's Fly Box said...

I really like this pattern!!

Milos Lazarevic said...

Great pattern!