Wednesday 6 January 2010

Vintage pike flies

I spend a lot of time trawling the net as well as through old books looking for vintage pike flies. Whether its my fascination with the history of the sport through the ages,I don't know. One things for sure though and that is pike fly design and material use has changed drastically over the years. Far more so than say Trout or Salmon flies which seem to have stood the test of time. Anyway I had a few peacock feathers milling around the mancave, so I tied them on to a hook the other night. Added Olive then Blue polar chenille along the hook shaft.then tied on 5 peacock hurl feathers,stuck a couple of eyes on and there we have it. Cant see it lasting it all that long but that's fine by me...as long as I'm able to fool a snotrocket into taking it,its done its job.


I'll be interested to see how this swims and what I need to do to get the best out of it. The feather has a rather stiff vein running through it up until the middle of the blue eye which bodes well as the tail section is extremely loose and will give off a wonderful fluttering action.


Click images for larger view

0 comments: