Wednesday 5 November 2008

Forces from the dark side


I am extremely happy with my Loop Evotec clw reel. On Paper it does exactly what you’d want from a pike fly reel. It has a water & heat-resistant casing and brake system and performs well in all weather conditions. Its reel & frame are made from corrosion proof composites perfect for Baltic conditions, & coupled with that it has a wide braking range and is extremely easy when wanting to change spools.

So why is it that I feel the need to upgrade to a different & probably more expensive shinier model? Is it the manufactures clever play on words in their advertising brochures that has thrown me into a false sense of security? Is their something more sinister going on I should know about? Or is it just that I like my toys just as much as the next bloke?

One things for shore, is that once I see something I want, I’m hard pressed to evict it from my mind until it has totally consumed me & I have parted with my hard earned cash & it’s eventually in my hands. Even though I know I have a perfectly good piece of equipment that will stand up to all that I ask of it.

In One ear a voice is telling me though “go on Si you know you want it, “Read all the sexy features again”


Housing and spool machined from one piece aircraft aluminium.

Waterproof and salt tolerant.

Components in stainless steel and anodised aluminium.

All screws secured with Loc-Tite.

Mechanized components from leading European manufacturers.

Power Matrix Drag System.

Easy-grip progressive brake knob.

Simple, quick spool-change.

Right or left retrieve a snap.

Outgoing click (not available on FW).

Precisely counter balanced .


Yet in my other ear another voice is saying “Be rational & strong Si, follow your feelings and don’t let the forces from the dark side cloud your mind

…………………Oh the demons in my head !

2 comments:

David Edwards said...

Simon... if you are thinking of the Loop Evotec as pictured... that is the same design as my Danielsson LW... I was originally looking at the Loop and was told that Danielsson designed and made the Loop reels, until Loop wanted to move production to Korea. The Danielsson reels are made to the original design and still made in Sweden... I ended up getting the 8Eleven which isn't a stock catalogue size... just incase I hook into a salmon!! I don't think the price is too different between the Loop and the Dani BUT the reputation on reliability is better with the Danielsson. I chose it to last me a lifetime... and it has already had a few pike on it... and bears no comparison to other reels!

All about the grab said...

David: Thanks for the heads up in regards to the Danielsson brand.I remember reading something about them a while back but it must have slipped through the radar.That's another reason why I started this blog so I can get other like minded pike fly-fisherman's point off views.