Tuesday 16 November 2010

Testing flies

There are a culmination of reasons why I fish every day and one of them is I'm constantly testing new flies. To tie something up and be able to drive five minutes down the road to try them out is why I've put so many hours in over the last 3 yrs with regards to pike on the fly.


Combining different materials and seeing 1st hand how they perform with different lines,leaders & stripping retrieves has been a great addition to how I approach the sport.
This is one of my gurglebug frogs working its way back to me. Over the course of 3 days I spend several hours fishing them with different sink tips to see how long I needed to pause before the fly rose back to the surface. I'm so lucky here on Replot the water is crystal clear until the middle of september when the plant life starts to die off and makes the water rather murky. So being able to watch a fly from 20m away has been a great help in understanding how they move through the water column and how to get the best from them.

This probably why I have become more prone on using natural materials over the last 3yrs than synthetic baitfish patterns purely because Of the extra movement they give off. Saying this though, that all the fish I caught over a meter this year were all caught with synthetic baitfish patterns.

0 comments: