Monday 18 May 2009

Privileged times

You know I feel very privileged to now live the lifestyle I do. It was only 4 and a half years ago I was stuck in a dead end job working 12 hour days, 7 days a week as a building maintenance engineer at a bank in London. Sure the money was great, but I never got to spend it and I certainly didn’t have a life. For all you people stuck in a rut, either sitting behind some desk or working at a factory I feel for you….I do.

With clients arriving in a week, I’ve been looking for an area where I can take them for a days fishing other than being on a boat and I’ve found it at Söderuddens found on the west of the island. I’d heard from our neighbor, that the area was teaming with pike and so I spent around 3 hours a day up there last week wading and chucking fluff, and they weren’t wrong. In total 46 pike were caught and I lost around half that close to shore. Water depth varies from around 1 meter to 3 meters and was crystal clear. I lost count how many fish I watched come out from behind cover to scoff down my flies.

I spotted 33 different species of birds including Osprey, White tailed eagle, Sparrow hawk, Falcon, Cranes and a pair of Smew’s which took me by surprise as they are mainly found in the East of Finland. Best of all I saw just 3 people the whole week who passed me in their boats.

Go to the Google map in the sidebar to see where I was. Zoom in on the pink dotted markers for a better look or you can go to a bigger version by clicking the picture.

2 comments:

mountain man said...

Awesome Man! That is quite the catch. Now it's time for a pike fry! Let me know how it goes with the guests.

Anonymous said...

nice simon.....so much water so little time....the whole job thing I now what your talking about. Later bro.....ken