Wednesday 2 November 2011

Building furled leaders


I dont use furled leaders but I know several people who do and have no complaints,so this winter I'm going to make several of these to test them for next spring. My only concern with using this method that even after twisting the 15lb mono to approx 30lb and then twisting it again to make an approx 60lb top part to the leader,your still left with a 15lb loop where your tippet attaches.If like all pike fly fisherman that use some kind of wire trace of around 25lb's to 30lb then surely the weak point would be the 15lb mono loop. Any thoughts on this or if any of you use this method then drop me a comment or two.

4 comments:

Clif said...

Start with 25lb mono to make the furled leader.

txfritz said...

I have used this method for many years. Its much easier than the complex board technique and produces a good result. I have prepared them in many sizes and that work well for fresh and saltwater fishing. As I recall the original approach came from watching a guide prepare a Bimini twist. I am sure larger mono will work well.

txfritz said...

Use a loop to loop connection. I have also put a swivel on the end.

James O Durbin II said...

i have had nothing but broken leaders on mono to mono ties. I only use the furled with a small swivel or a small titanium ring you tie your tippet to. I have used the same furled leader for 2 years now. That's a good 100+ days on the water. They will lay out the big light fluff much better than any single strand leader I have ever thrown.