Tuesday 13 July 2010

Sinner attractors



Many purests say that adding spinnerblades to your fly changes it more into a lure than a fly. I personally don't find anything wrong with the concept. Whether its a spinner blade,or a rubber jigging worm added to the hook or even a plastic diving lip......if I can cast it with a fly rod then its a fly in my eyes. This looks more like a trawlng fly due to the size of the blade and I would expect it works better with a small spinning rod but it has given me food for thought to maybe add tiny spinning blades to some of my flies.


I mean I've been known to add tiny propellor blades to the front of my flies.....so why not spinner blades. It would be interesting to hear what others think about adding attractors to a fly like propellors or spinner blades!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion the blade is not a good solution...even with a swivel in front.
Try something like on minute 5:20 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHW1CEaniq8&feature=player_embedded
It works pretty good, even in weedbeds.

Moritz

Wayne said...

I've tried this too but haven't found a good solution for keeping the prop moving without binding up.

Montana fly has a few patterns that actually have a large blade attached to the fly.

I'm personally don't give a $h** about all the purist banter myself. I like messing around with stuff especially for big predator fish. If it weren't for experimenting we'd still be using square wheels.