Thursday 6 August 2009

Wading hell

Whenever I slipped my waders on in the past, I always seemed to have a greater sense of anticipation about the days fishing, than if I was going to be on my boat. Its not that I catch more fish wading, I just like my fly-fishing to take place “In” the water.


Then I started to wade around here on Replot, and what used to be such a pleasurable experience has turned into a fucking nightmare. To say I’m a tad pissed off at the mo, is an understatement. I mean waders are meant to keep a fisherman dry….well that’s what it says on the box.. `Yet over the last 3 bloody months I’ve managed to fill my waders no more than seven times, and now that sense of anticipation has turned to a sense of sheer and utter dread.


The reason is these bastards here…..yes rocks! The island is just one huge mass off varying sized round and extremely slimy boulders for as far as the eye can see.


Anyway, there are several makes of wading spikes being marketed by reputable fly-fishing companies that I’ve come across that just don’t seem as though they’d cut the grade (Waits with anticipation for The Trout Undergrounds reviews) so it looks like I’m going to have to change my line of attack with regards to spikes and have whittled it down to these five makes.


I like these……Sure, something you’d expect to see on some old fart wobbling around outside a pensioners retirement village, but they look easy to get on and off and are as cheap as chips.


Now these you’ll have to agree with me, look the bollocks and could seriously do the trick. I’m particularly drawn to the way the spikes are mounted and face under foot. A worthy contender that might get to know the details of my credit card.


I like the spikes on these, but feel the chain mail would seriously damage the padding under the boot….more suited to rubber soled boot or shoes....I'm thinking!


Now these last two pairs is where you’d be forgiven for thinking that I’m starting to take the piss. Yes, go ahead ‘n laugh! These are desperate times that call for desperate measures. And if they’re good enough to keep a man from sliding down a vertical fucking slope of ice, then surely they cant be overlooked.


As you can see I’m starting to loose the plot with some of my choices, so if any of you have any recommendations then feel free by all means & drop me a line.

0 comments: