Saturday 20 December 2008

My new playground

So I’ve now moved to Vaasa….to the island of Replot which falls under Finland’s 1st Natural world Heritage site “Kvarken”. The reason for the award is that the area is one of the few places in the world where the land mass is actually rising by 7mm - 9mm per annum.

Over the last 150 yrs, hundreds of small islands have risen from the sea bed and this has produced some of the best pike habitats that can be found in the whole of the Baltic sea. In fact the islands of Replot, Bjorkoby & Maraskar are regarded by many Finns as the best pike fishing waters in the whole of Finland & many of Finland’s record pike have hailed from the area.
This is probably due to far less netting by locals and also a stricter catch and release policy practiced by many of the pike fishermen in the area.



There is also a larger quantity of drop of areas around islands which form channels for their prey to swim between. Coupled with that, far more reed beds are found scattered along all the islands shorelines than anywhere else in the Baltic giving them better spawning areas as well.

Looking at theses images, I’m sure you will agree with me that that I cant wait to for next spring to get stuck into these Baltic Pike.

4 comments:

dry flies and deadbaits said...

That looks like heaven to me! Im certain those waters will be crammed with monstrous pike.

I guess i'll just have to make do with my local ponds and lochs :)

Fishing in Scotland said...

Hi there, I picked up your site from Dryflies and Deadbaits site. Some fantastic reports and pics here which are making me very envious.

Great Stuff hope to read some more tonight.

All about the grab said...

Thanks guys,I am very excited about the new year.Have always wanted to bring my fly-fishing tours business here to the Baltic and now that dream has happened.Have a great xmas.

David Edwards said...

What a playground! And I see that you are having fun catching fish in SA as well.

Happy New Year!

David